Appendix B: Generating a Provisioning Profile (iOS)
Your Apple developer career is managed by the Provisioning Portal. As described earlier, your key components are:
- A developer certificate
- An app ID, which is simply a logical grouping of applications
- A list of devices for beta testing
- A provisioning profile linking all of these together
- Log in to the Provisioning Portal
- Go into Certificates, Identifiers & Profiles
If you don't already have a Certificate, generate one and load it onto your Mac.
Make it a Production certificate, for "App Store and Ad Hoc"
- Defined an App ID.
The simplest choice here is to make a wildcard matching your organization, e.g. org.greeninfo.* Using a wildcard will allow this provisioning profile to match multiple apps, as long as they start with org.greeninfo
- Enter the UDIDs for your beta tester devices
Again, only devices listed here AND chosen for a Provisioning Profile can effectively beta test.
- Generate a Provisioning Profile
Tie together your developer identity, your app, and those devices, into a single logical grouping.
Do not forget the 100 device limit. If you're doing apps for 5 or 6 companies, and each one wants 20 people to check out the app, you could run out of slots.